Osteoarthritis of the hip joint, or in other words, coxarthrosis, is a serious pathology in this area of the skeletal system, which is characterized by destruction of the articular layer of cartilage, additional damage to other components: adjacent muscles, bursa, pelvic bones.
Deforming osteoarthritis is especially dangerous because it leads not only to thinning of cartilage, but also to bone growth, which threatens with irreversible consequences.
Actively progressive, osteoarthritis contributes to the development of vascular sclerosis of the joint head with the growth of a large number of cysts. The consequences of the disease will be severe deformities, dysfunction of one or both hips. Coxarthrosis of the joint occurs not only in connection with age-related changes in the skeletal system, but also in children with congenital dislocation of the hip joint, dysplasia.
Osteoarthritis of the hip joint: symptoms
The signs of pelvic damage appear differently in each patient, but among the most common are the following:
- The leading place among them is occupied by the pain syndrome, from which the patient suffers not only after exercise, but also at rest. Painful sensations are localized in the thigh, groin, attach to the knee. The pain is not always static, as the disease progresses, they change the location, intensity, duration;
- Restriction of motor activity of the musculoskeletal system leads to stiffness of human movements, lameness, sometimes shortening of the limb due to spasm of the gluteal muscles;
- The acute stage is characterized by the inability to bring the affected leg to the body or to bring it to a supine position. When performing movements, joint crunches are heard.
There are three stages of coxarthrosis. If in the first stage of the pathology the painful sensations pass after a short rest, then they become more and more intense. The hip joints are threatened by immobility, and the muscles of the thighs, buttocks and lower legs are difficult to cope with their functions due to atrophic changes in them.
The main causes of the lesion
- The risk of developing osteoarthritis is often found in those groups of people who already have metabolic disorders, genetic features in the structure of the bone system and weakness of cartilage tissues.
- But most often the appearance of this pathology is preceded by certain diseases associated with malnutrition, blood supply to the head of the femur, such as Peters' disease. It occurs mainly in boys during childhood.
- Congenital dislocation of the hip joint also leads to the development of pelvic joint pathologies.
- Injuries in the form of fractures, dislocations provoke the development of diseases of the hip joints.
- Inflammatory processes in the bones, such as arthritis of various etiologies, contribute to joint tissue damage.
- And leading a sedentary lifestyle, hormonal disorders in the body, doing heavy sports only provoke the development of arthritic changes in the hip joints.
Treatment of osteoarthritis with therapeutic methods
In case of advanced pathology, surgery is likely. But in the early stages of development, deforming osteoarthritis is treated by conservative methods in a hospital or at home.
Joint treatment with drugs
Several main types of drugs are used to treat the disease:
- Non-steroidal drugs are often produced in the form of tablets, capsules and gels. They are effective anti-inflammatory, analgesic drugs that relieve swelling, reduce pain and stop the pathological process in the tissues. Tablets, capsules, drugs are taken during meals, first forty milligrams, then two days later reduced to twenty. The gel is used three times a day, rubbed in with massage movements. With caution, drugs are prescribed to elderly patients with heart failure, pathologies of the gastrointestinal tract. While using it, you should not drink alcohol, drive a car;
- The agent, which is a chondroprotective agent, restores metabolic processes, the functions of the cartilage tissues of the hip joint and reduces pain. They take the drug one and a half grams daily for six weeks. Thanks to such drugs, after three months it will be possible to feel improvements in the condition of the hip joint;
- To relax smooth muscles, eliminate spasms of small vessels, a drug that improves the properties of the blood, increases resistance to hypoxia, helps. Take two tablets once a day with meals;
- Muscle relaxants are designed to normalize blood circulation, relieve muscle pain. One tablet is prescribed three times a day. The drug is contraindicated for people with serious liver pathologies;
- Corticosteroids are used only in extremely severe forms of the disease, when other drugs do not provide relief. Some of these drugs have strong anti-inflammatory effects. Most often, a solution of the drug is injected intramuscularly, starting with one hundred milliliters, every six hours. It is successfully used for application with the help of ultrasonic equipment (phonophoresis, electrophoresis).
Warming ointment treatment for such articular pathology is rarely used, as it is quite difficult for external agents to penetrate to the lesion through the layers of adipose tissue, skin and muscles.
We treat coxarthrosis at home
Time-tested prescriptions for traditional medicine should also be used in the treatment of coxarthrosis.
- After passing the mash of three lemons, 250 grams of celery root, 120 grams of garlic through a meat grinder, a mixture is obtained, which after placing in a three-liter jar is poured with boiling water. The infusion is taken half an hour before breakfast, half a cup daily.
- A glass of calamus and astragalus is boiled in five liters of water for five minutes. After pouring the drug, add the solution in a warm bath. After undergoing medical procedures, it is good to do gymnastics to develop the mobility of the pelvic joints.
- Aspic, prepared from a kilo of beef hooves without salt, is very useful in joint diseases. You need to eat two hundred grams half an hour before a meal.
- Bath with the addition of Jerusalem artichoke, pine branches, sea salt, honey will relieve the patient's condition. And the network of iodine and lard will strengthen its effect. Also, after bathing, a compress of horseradish porridge mixed with honey applied to the area of pain will help.
Of course, treatment with folk remedies will only weaken some of the symptoms of the disease, will not eliminate them completely, but in combination with other methods will be effective.
Medical procedures can help with pelvic osteoarthritis
The procedures prescribed by specialists for the successful treatment of coxarthrosis have a beneficial local effect on the tissues of the affected area of the skeletal system of the human body:
- Acting with low temperatures on the painful areas of the pelvic bones, cryotherapy stimulates blood flow to them, metabolic processes in the tissues. Partial immersion of the body in an environment with liquid nitrogen, where the temperature varies from minus one hundred and ten to minus one hundred and sixty, will help eliminate the unpleasant symptoms of arthritis pain, restore motor functions;
- Infrared radiation is used for painful sensations in muscle tissues, nerve endings. Before the phototherapy procedure it is necessary to lubricate the affected area with gel, then for thirty minutes they act with the help of a special device at the site of pain. To avoid allergic reactions, mandatory testing is performed before the session and then the appropriate dose of radiation is selected;
- Traction or adhesion of the hip joint is a way to stretch the joints to prevent wear and increase the gap between them. The procedure is performed either by the specialist himself or with the help of a traction unit. In the supine position, while fixing the patient's chest, shoulder spine, a load is hung from the lower back on a special belt. The weight of the load depends on the weight, height, age, severity of the disease. After such an operation it is recommended to give the patient a long rest.
To deform the osteoarthritis of the hip joint should be prescribed physical therapy, massage, as this will help improve blood circulation, relieve muscle tension and pain.
Prevention of recurrence of joint pathology
Successful treatment of any disease of the skeletal system must be consolidated so that the disease does not return.
- Daily gymnastics, thigh and buttock massage will help you develop your hip joint. Swimming exercises have a positive effect on the condition of the pelvis, hips.
- Prevention of joint pathologies is not complete without a balanced diet consisting of fruits, vegetables, whole grains, seafood, chicken, turkey.
- Recipes of traditional medicine will also strengthen muscles and bones, so the use of compresses, trays based on medicinal herbs is mandatory.
And most importantly, do not overload the joints, muscles with work, long walks, jogging. And when the first symptoms of pain appear, you should immediately consult a doctor.
The materials published on this page are for informational purposes only and are intended for educational purposes. Determining the diagnosis and choosing a method of treatment remains the exclusive prerogative of your doctor.